Blog 5: Choosing the Right Storage Unit Size
Finding the right size of self-storage unit is like solving a giant puzzle. What is the most cost-effective way to fit your stuff comfortably in a self-storage unit? Whether you are storing a boat, a couch, or just a few boxes, there is a storage unit that will work best for your needs.
How to Pick the Best Storage Unit
We suggest making a comprehensive list of all your items. Don’t leave anything out, or expect to throw in a few things after you secure your unit. You don’t want your storage unit to become more crowded than Disneyland on the Fourth of July!
Here is a comprehensive list of our storage unit sizes and the items that fit in each. Consider the items you need to store before you choose your unit:
- 5 x 5 (25 sq. ft.; 215 cu. ft.): small furniture (disassembled), boxes
- 5 x 10 (50 sq. ft.; 430 cu. ft.): small furniture, boxes, toys, motorcycle
- 10 x 10 (100 sq. ft., 860 cu. ft.): furniture from an apartment, appliances, sports equipment
- 12 x 10 (120 sq. ft., 1032 cu. ft.): appliances, tools, seasonal equipment, office files
- 10 x 15 (150 sq. ft.; 1290 cu. ft.): furniture for 1- or 2-bedroom house, appliances, tools
- 10 x 20 (200 sq. ft.; 1720 cu. ft.): furniture for a 2- or 3-bedroom house, boat, small car, bicycles, lawn equipment, sports equipment (eg. Skidoo)
- 10 x 25 (250 sq. ft.; 2150 cu. ft.): full sized car
- 10 x 30 (300 sq. ft.; 2580 cu. ft.): car or truck, furniture for 4 or 5 bedroom house
We also offer storage units in sizes of 10 x 35, 12 x 30, and 10 x 40 to comfortably fit your car, truck, or furniture.
Which Storage Unit is Best for You?
Before choosing a storage unit, consider your life situation. If you’re simply de-cluttering your house or office, you will probably want a unit between 25 and 100 sq. ft. If you are in the process of moving, you may want to choose a storage unit between 150 and 200 sq. ft. If you’re storing a vehicle over the winter, 250 or more sq. ft. is probably necessary.
We suggest visiting the storage units in person so you can visualize the right size for your items before you move them into storage. A Yellowhead Storage employee can help you select the best storage unit for your needs. While the prices increase based on unit size, we will help you find the most affordable option. We offer discounts for seniors, students, and military service people.
Give Yellowhead Storage a call at 1-780-455-9242, and we’ll help you find the right storage unit size.
Service areas include Edmonton, St. Albert & More.